Sunday, May 4, 2014

Raising Jack

My Jack - My Instinct - Our Journey.  Jack was born on time and healthy.  As our first we "knew" it would be hard raising a child but truly we had no idea!  The first three months were tough, Jack cried when the sun hit his eyes, a bottle was introduced, a hat was placed on his head, he was held or he was not held.  Nothing made sense.  The crying intensified. From early evening until late at night, jack cried.  I cried.  My wonderful husband, held, shushed, swung, walked Jack all the while reassuring his desperate wife that we would get through that stage.  And we did!  Finally, our doctor confirmed what we already knew, Jack had colic.  But, since those first days, raising Jack has been a journey.

In the end what worked for our infant was discovered through trial and error.  A hairdryer rigged up near Jack's crib or any type of white noise (radio static in the car) soothed Jack's crying, finding his thumb, daddy, comfy clothes, lots of sleep and consistency were our main saviors.  My savior was talking.

Throughout our journey we have felt Jack had differences that were hard to explain.  He never liked toys, he would have meltdowns getting into the car seat, being offered a glass of water, learning ABC's, brushing his teeth, combing his hair, putting ketchup on the "wrong" part of his plate!  Being my first I felt confused.  Was I not disciplining enough, too much?  Was I too uptight?  Too consistent?  My ego was obviously too big!

Outside family (mainly my MIL) would say Yes to all the above.  She "hinted" I should have put him on the bottle with soy formula, put him in daycare and get back to work!  Today's influences on parenting are confusing and defeating to say the least.  But, my husband and I did one thing right!  We communicated.  We supported one another and became closer as a family unit!  The harder things became the closer we became!  In my eyes that is what marriage is about!

No comments: